Importance for Pharmacists
1. Comprehensive patient-centered care for every patient.
- Present all pharmacological and non-pharmacological options and let the patient decide. Couples deserve all the information required in order to reach informed consent on their preferred method for family planning. As pharmacists, we are ideally placed to help men and women achieve optimal heath and family size by presenting natural fertility treatments which are scientific, medically sound and effective.
- Huge potential for reimbursement for counselling, materials, classes, care plans & follow-up. Get additional training as a certified NFP teacher in Billings, Sympto-Thermal or Creighton. See example of pharmacist in Alberta has made NaPro her clinical specialty (http://www.cambrianpharmacy.com/maria-bizecki)
- Recommend NFP charting and help interpret results. Ovulation prediction kits and hormone testing options available. Medications and hormone supplements for restorative medicine.
- A woman’s cycle is a good indicator of overall health and fertility – identify cause of symptoms through detailed charting, it tells a story.
- Factors include: fear of side effects, more affordable, religious beliefs, natural approach, space or limit child births, etc.
- Refer patients to NFP teachers in your community, know the resources available, consider seeking additional training in NFP methods.